6 Shot, 2 Dead After Drive-By Shooting Outside of Funeral Service in Brooklyn

bk+shooting+4+27+1If there was ever a time that the People in communities across the U.S. needed to come together, it’s now. While images and videos of the Baltimore protesters’ exemplary model of unity continue to pour in by the hour, it is unfortunate that that spirit of solidarity has not spread throughout the rest of the country and penetrated the hearts of others. I truly wonder what the motive could have possibly been to lead these men to opening fire on a group of 300 people that were just leaving a funeral service. Many of whom were with their loved ones and simply wanted to pay respects to someone who had passed. Little did some of them know, they would have to start making plans to attend two more. It’s even more saddening to hear that one of the men that died in this senseless act of violence was killed in front of his son. For what? When will this vicious cycle end? Let this be a reminder that although the solidarity shown in places like Ferguson and Baltimore is a step in the right direction, it is something that must not be fleeting. We have to be as unrelenting in our struggle for unity amongst the People as the opposing forces are in their efforts to keep us divided.

I offer my condolences to all those affected by this tragedy.

Six people were shot — two fatally — Monday night during a drive-by shooting outside a Brooklyn church where funeral services were being held, police sources and witnesses said.

More than 300 people were leaving the service at Emmanuel Church of God on Flatbush Ave. near Foster Ave. at about 8:30 p.m. when a gunman fired up to 15 shots into the crowd from a silver SUV.

“It sounded like a war … boom, boom, boom,” said witness Carlo Stamand, 60, who owns the nearby Cafe Creole restaurant. “I ran. I went inside my business. After that, the police came.

Witness Angela Diggs, 50, was worshiping at another church nearby when the congregants’ prayers were drowned out by gunfire.

 

“We didn’t come out,” she said. “We just continued praying for whatever was happening out there. Praying that nobody died.”

Diggs’ prayers weren’t answered.
Continue reading

UPDATE: Jay Rock is Cleared of Drive-By Shooting

JayRock

via Allhiphop

California emcee Jay Rock was recently exonerated as the lead suspect of a drive by shooting in his Watts neighborhood.

Jay Rock, real name Johnnie McKenzie, was arrested on Wednesday April 29 as the primary suspect in the shooting. Footage of the arrest was disseminated throughout the internet last week. In the 3 minute clip, an agitated Jay Rock is shown in custody on a curb outside his home, while friends shout epithets at the police.

Despite being cleared of the charge, authorities still detained Jay Rock for several days on undisclosed outstanding warrants. The Watts emcee was eventually bailed out in time to make a scheduled Utah concert last weekend.

With a background in the Bloods street gang and explicit songs about his Watts neighborhood, Jay Rock represents one of a handful of new “Gangsta Rap” artists with breakout star potential. He hit the national scene last year courtesy of the single “All My Life,” which featured Lil Wayne and Will.i.am. Since then, he’s gone on to work with The Game, Lloyd Banks, and Busta Rhymes.

Jay Rock’s major label debut, Follow Me Home, is due out this fall through Warner Bros.