[video] Iceberg Slim – Official Trailer

Ice-T Presents: Iceberg Slim: Portrait of a Pimp, examines the tumultuous life of legendary Chicago pimp Iceberg Slim (1918-1992) and how he reinvented himself from pimp to author of 7 groundbreaking books. These books were the birth of Street Lit and explored the world of the ghetto in gritty and poetic detail and have made him a cultural icon.

Director: Jorge Hinojosa
Producer: Ice-T
Subjects: Ice T, Snoop Dogg, Henry Rollins, Chris Rock, Quincy Jones

Release Date:
July 12th On Demand
July 19th In Theaters

Theatrical (Phase 4 Films)
http://www.icebergslimmovie.com
twitter.com/portraitofapimp

SOURCE

Quincy Jones and Friends Plan ‘We Are The World’ 2

We definitely need some vocals from Michael Jackson in this song. It would be only right knowing his constant concern for the world’s poor throughout his life.

EXCLUSIVE: This column has learned that Quincy Jones and Lionel Richie are planning a massive 25th anniversary re-recording of “We Are the World.”

The timing couldn’t be better, sadly enough.

The duo is summoning lots and lots of talent from Grammy weekend to stay an extra night — Monday Feb. 1 — and come to the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles. There, they will celebrate a quarter century since Ken Kragen, Richie and Michael Jackson organized the original “We Are the World” with Quincy.

Continue reading

Vibe Magazine sued for not refunding subscriptions

More drama for the defunct magazine and they will definitely have to pony up the money and refund the now worthless subscriptions.

Picture 19

via NY Post

When Vibe went belly-up, the publishers of the urban beat magazine didn’t lift a finger to refund subscribers who were left high and dry by its sudden demise, according to a federal class-action lawsuit filed in New York.

The civil complaint, on behalf of Enterprise, Ala., resident Kenneth Rogers, claims he purchased a year-long subscription to Vibe three months before the magazine’s collapse on June 30. Rogers claims Vibe hasn’t done a thing to refund his money. His lawsuit invites any of the mag’s 800,000 subscribers to join.

A one-year subscription cost between $9.95 and $14.95, and readers had to pay up front, according to the suit.

FULL STORY HERE

Did MEDIATAKEOUT try to save VIBE MAGAZINE?

Source:Reuters/Mediatakeout

Very interesting and this might be Mediatakeout’s jockeying to become as big as TMZ though they do not have the same major corporation backing. We have not seen any evidence yet that they are making money off of the gobs of traffic they get everyday.

What will be their next move in the coverage of black celebrities? TV show? They will first have to stop will the unreliable and outright garbage stories with no basis in order to be taken serious and to compete with TMZ.

Read more below from Reuters:

Picture 4Here’s an entry from our very own Reuters New York equities team summer intern Chavon Sutton. (Thanks, Chavon!)

Did Vibe magazine, the print ambassador of hip-hop culture, voice and style, pass up a chance to survive last year?

Vibe, the baby of acclaimed producer Quincy Jones (the composer who produced the late Michael Jackson’s mega-hit albums, “Thriller” and “Off the Wall,”), said earlier this week that it was shutting down immediately.

A partnership with an online gossip website serving African-American readers, might have given it room to keep producing, according to the site’s founder and editor.

Fred Mwangaguhunga, who runs Mediatakeout.com, told us that in the year before Vibe’s collapse, it offered the magazine a revenue-share deal, but Vibe refused.

“We came to Vibe and offered it a deal where they’d sell our ads and in return, they’d get a stake in the ads they sold,” Mwangagunhunga said.

The partnership could have given Vibe “$1 million a month, but they didn’t want it,” he said.
$1 million a month? Hard to say. (For what it’s worth, Mwangaguhunga says Mediatakeout.com gets 3 to 5 million unique viewers and 150 million page impressions per month.)

Picture 5We tried to reach Vibe, or whatever is left of it, but a computerized voicemail message at the magazine’s office said: “Message quota exceeded. Goodbye.”

Did Vibe take a wise pass in the hopes of striking a better online deal? Or do its actions suggest that it is another example of entrenched print types avoiding imminent change?

It could be a pointless question. Jones told EbonyJet.com that he plans to buy back the magazine, which had a circulation of over 800,000, according to The New York Times.

Incidentally, Ebony apparently isn’t interested in working with Mediatakeout either.

“We made the same proposal to Ebony [magazine] which is facing pressure now,” he said. “I’m not sure why they’re saying no.”

UPDATE 4: Micheal Jackson Confirmed DEAD at 50/Photo of Michael Entering Hospital/Quincy Pays Tribute

75370823GC014_VERSACE

QUINCY JONES PAYS TRIBUTE TO A GIANT

via NME

“I am absolutely devastated at this tragic and unexpected news. ForMichael to be taken away from us so suddenly at such a young age, I just don’t have the words,” he was quoted as saying.

“Divinity brought our souls together on The Wiz and allowed us to do what we were able to throughout the 80’s. To this day, the music we created together on ’Off The Wall’,’Thriller’ and ’Bad’ is played in every corner of the world and the reason for that is because he had it all…talent, grace, professionalism and dedication.

“He was the consummate entertainer and his contributions and legacy will be felt upon the world forever.”

Vodpod videos no longer available.

Damn, RIP to the legend. The Godfather James passed on the 25th and now Mike has joined that great big orchestra in the sky. We will always love the KING. Long Live the KING!

Update 3: Here are some pics of MJ shooting a video for his recent tour that was to start on July 13th. Source: TMZ

Picture 60Picture 61

Update 2: Source: Gyant

Here is a pic that ET has released of the final moments before we lost the King of Pop.

Picture 59

via BVNewsWire

TMZ reports that Michael Jackson has been taken to UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles hospital by ambulance for cardiac arrest. Sources are stating that a 911 call was received from Jackson’s Holby Hills residence was placed at 12:21 PM Thursday afternoon.

Jackson’s father, Joe, told E! News that he’s aware of the emergency but didn’t have any details.

“I am in Las Vegas, but yes, people in Los Angeles called me and are with Michael and tell me he was taken to the hospital,” Jackson said. “His mother is on her way to the hospital now to check in on him.”

“I am not sure what’s wrong. I am waiting to hear back from them,” he added.

Story developing…

Michael Jackson Taking ‘Thriller’ To Theater

via Billboard

Michael Jackson will help develop his groundbreaking “Thriller” video into a musical theater production, producers said today (Jan. 26).mikejac

The theater production will recreate the tale of the 14-minute horror film spoof based on the title song. In the video, a young couple are on a date when the boy — played by Jackson — becomes a werewolf.

“This musical will be the exclusive Michael Jackson authorized version of ‘Thriller’ and Jackson will participate in every aspect of the creative process,” said the Nederland Organization, which has acquired the rights to the musical.

“Thriller The Musical” will include songs from the 1982 album “Thriller” and its 1979 predecessor, “Off the Wall.”

The “Thriller” video, featuring dancing zombies and horror film star Vincent Price, was first aired in 1983 and became a staple of MTV. It was directed by filmmaker John Landis, who said it cost $500,000 — about 10 times the cost of the standard music video of the time. Continue reading